CSMA is the only music school in our community that gives students access to a complete, comprehensive music education. A complete music education program starts with private music lessons, and builds upon those lessons with music theory classes, ensembles, composition classes, faculty-led workshops and recitals.
Private music lessons take place once a week at a regularly scheduled time and may be 30, 45 or 60 minutes long. Students must have an instrument available for daily practice.
About Private Lessons
CSMA’s Private Lesson program features:
- Instruction in classical, contemporary, jazz and popular styles
- Faculty of internationally-recognized professional musicians and educators
- Distinguished Teachers, recognized for their extraordinary professional experience
- Individualized attention, emphasizing development of solid music fundamentals
- Performance opportunities for ensembles and individuals
- For more in-depth information, please watch the Private Lesson Orientation.
Private Lessons are offered in:
Accordion* (Ages 10-Adult)
Bass* (Ages 9-Adult – upright & electric)
Baritone/Euphonium (Ages 10-Adult)
Bassoon (Ages 10-Adult)
Cello (Ages 7-Adult)
Clarinet* (Ages 8-Adult)
Composition (Ages 7-Adult)
Drums* (Ages 7-Adult)
Flute* (Ages 8-Adult)
French Horn* (Ages 10-Adult)
Guitar* (Ages 5-Adult – acoustic & electric)
Oboe (Ages 9-Adult)
Percussion* (Ages 7-Adult)
Piano* (Ages 4-Adult)
Recorder/Suzuki Recorder (Ages 4-Adult)
Saxophone* (Ages 10-Adult)
Theory/Aural Training (Ages 7-Adult)
Trombone (Ages 9-Adult)
Trumpet (Ages 5-Adult)
Tuba (Ages 11-Adult)
Ukulele (Ages 5-Adult)
Vibraphone* (Ages 9-Adult)
Viola (Ages 7-Adult)
Violin (Ages 4-Adult)
Voice* (Ages 10-Adult)
* Specialized jazz instruction offered
August 25 - January 25, 2019
30-minute lesson: $893
45-minute lesson: $1292
60-minute lesson: $1729
Fall Private Lesson Discount for New Students!
New CSMA Private Lesson students who take lessons before 1:30pm, Monday-Friday will receive a 10% discount. Please contact us for more information.
Note: Tuition is higher for study with CSMA Distinguished Teachers. For more information about these teachers, please contact CSMA’s Private Lesson Program Coordinator.
Private Lessons include:
Discounted Core Curriculum classes
- Core Curriculum classes offer additional training in music theory, ear training, ensemble performance, composition and musicianship.
- Private lesson students may receive a 50% discount on one Music Core Curriculum class each semester (except summer).
- Workshop Weeks (Fall & Spring only) feature a series of special workshops led by CSMA Music faculty and guest artists. Past workshops have included: Recital Preparation, Music History, and Composing Your Own Music.
- CSMA private lesson students may participate in multiple workshops.
- Student recitals, held each semester, provide an opportunity for students to perform and gain confidence in front of an audience of family and friends.
- CSMA Merit Scholarships are awarded to CSMA Private Lesson students (Gr K-12) who have shown a high level of commitment, talent and achievement in their CSMA studies.
- To be eligible, students must have taken private lessons for a minimum of two full, consecutive semesters at CSMA, and be nominated by a faculty member.
- Merit Scholars and their families are regarded as the ambassadors of the CSMA Music School.
- Merit Scholars have been accepted to some of the nation’s most prestigious music programs, including The Juilliard School and Berklee College of Music.
- Many CSMA faculty prepare students for the Associated Board of Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM), Royal Conservatory Music Development Program (MDP), and Certificate of Merit (CM) exams. CSMA is a host of both ABRSM & MDP, and is a Founding School for the Royal Conservatory MDP exams.
Ready for the next step?
CSMA is committed to matching every student with a teacher appropriate for learning style, level and goals. For that reason, we do not register new students online for private lessons. The Private Lesson Program Coordinator speaks with all new students or their parents to assist with teacher placement and to answer all questions.
Upon receiving your completed questionnaire, CSMA staff will contact you to follow up and to answer any questions you may have.
New student placement begins approximately one month prior to the start of a semester. The Music School accepts inquiries during any time of the year and adds students to a prospective student list. When new student placement begins, lesson requests are processed in the order they have been received. CSMA accepts new students during the semester on a space-available basis.
New Private Lesson Student Placement begins in:
- August (for Fall Semester)
- January (for Spring Semester)
- June (for Summer Session)
Important Private Lesson Policies
Please make note of the following important Private Lesson policies. View CSMA’s full Private Lessons policies here.
- Students may request to withdraw or change teachers within three business days after the second lesson. Requests must be made in writing and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. After this trial lesson period, no refunds or teacher changes are granted.
Absences and Make-Ups
- There is no school credit, reimbursement or refund for missed lessons due to a student’s absence. CSMA does not guarantee a make up for a missed lesson due to a student’s absence. If a lesson is missed due to a teacher’s absence, a make-up lesson will be scheduled.