The award-winning Art4Schools program offers a sequential, skill-building curriculum based on California Arts Standards for Visual Arts adopted by the State Board of Education in 2019.
Art4School’s classes are taught by professional working artists, who have reached hundreds of thousands of students in public and private schools in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties with the goal of ensuring that all children in the community have access to an arts education.
Why does the study of the arts belong in our schools?
Providing arts education during the regular school day increases the likelihood of better academic outcomes for participating students. CSMA’s program is designed to enhance:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Social and communication skills
- Creativity and self-expression
- Self-esteem and confidence
- Cultural awareness
A recent longitudinal study of 25,000 students demonstrated that arts education helps close the achievement gap, improves reading and language development and advances students’ motivation to learn. The benefits of an arts education are even greater for low-socioeconomic status (low-SES) youth. One study found that low-SES students who are highly engaged in the arts are more than twice as likely as their peers with low arts involvement to earn a bachelor’s degree.
CSMA’s Art4Schools program offers:
- Sequential, skill-building, art curriculum tied to State standards for Visual Arts
- Classes taught by professional art instructors
- Full program administration, including hiring, training and mentoring teachers
- Partnering with schools on teacher scheduling and evaluation
- All art materials and supplies
- Art show opportunities
Art4Schools emphasizes four major areas for student growth:
- Creative expression
- Understanding of the language of art
- Development of technical skills
- Appreciation of the cultural and historical foundation of art
Students develop basic technical skills as well as learn concepts such as line, shape, value, form and color. Lessons are often inspired by a master artist or a cultural/historical context that encourages students to explore topics from other perspectives.
Interested in bringing Art4Schools to your school?
Learn more about our curriculum and key concepts:
Experience the power of the arts and how it can inspire people to discover their passions and become fully engaged in the world around them.