In CSMA’s Jazz Theory classes, students learn melodic techniques, harmonic practices and their applications. Formal analysis of pieces teaches students about how jazz compositions are constructed.
CSMA offers several opportunities for students interested in performing jazz.
- Jazz Combos: These combos perform blues and jazz from a variety of eras. Students continue their jazz technique and theory education by learning new improvisation methods and rehearsal techniques.
- Brazilian Jazz Combo: Students explore Brazilian Jazz styles and representative repertoire while working on technique and improvisation methods.
Community Jazz Jams
Spend an afternoon jamming with jazz musicians! Community Jazz Jams are open to all intermediate and advanced players. Players are arranged into combos based on experience. Sessions are open to all jazzers, and vocalists are welcome.
Jazz Jams take place three times each semester. They are free to CSMA jazz students! ($20, payable at the door, for non-CSMA students.)
Summer 2018 Community Jazz Jams:
- Sunday, June 24, 1pm-5:30pm
- Sunday, July 29, 1pm-5:30pm
Fall 2018 Community Jazz Jams:
- Sunday, September 30, 1pm-5:30pm
- Sunday, October 21, 1pm-5:30pm
- Sunday, November 18, 1pm-5:30pm
To register for a Community Jazz Jam, email CSMAjazz@arts4all.org two weeks prior to the session. Please include: name, instrument and years of experience playing jazz.