In CSMA’s Jazz Theory 1 & 2 classes, students learn melodic techniques, harmonic practices and their applications. Formal analysis of pieces teaches students about how jazz compositions are constructed.
CSMA offers several opportunities for students interested in performing jazz.
- Intro to Jazz Performance: Students learn jazz basics, including fundamental scales and melodic techniques.
- Jazz Combo: These combos perform blues and jazz from a variety of eras. Students continue their jazz technique and theory education by learning new improvisation methods and rehearsal techniques.
- Jazz: The Next Generation: This combo is for younger musicians interested in a variety of genres, including jazz standards, funk, rock, R&B and Latin styles.
Community Jazz Jams
Spend an afternoon jamming with jazz musicians! Community Jazz Jams are open to all intermediate and advanced players. Players are arranged into combos based on experience. Sessions are open to all jazzers, and vocalists are welcome.
Jazz Jams take place three times each semester. They are free to CSMA jazz students! ($20, payable at the door, for non-CSMA students.)
Fall 2017 Community Jazz Jams:
- Sunday, September 17, 1pm-5:30pm
- Sunday, October 15, 1pm-5:30pm
- Sunday, November 12, 1pm-5:30pm
To register for a Community Jazz Jam, email CSMAjazz@arts4all.org two weeks prior to the session. Please include: name, instrument and years of experience playing jazz.