Intermediate & Advanced Opportunities
Intermediate and Advanced students (both youths and adults) are encouraged to enroll in CSMA’s Core Curriculum classes to supplement private music lessons. These classes develop a student’s musical intelligence by teaching the reading, writing and listening skills necessary to reinforce and build on what students learn in their private lessons.
Music theory helps students develop the skills to understand the language of music. Understanding music theory, and the language of music, makes better musicians. CSMA offers a variety of Music Theory classes for intermediate and advanced students.
- Beg, Int, Adv Harmony: Beginning with Theory 6, courses focus on harmony and analysis - how concepts are put together to form musical phrases and compositions.
- AP Music Theory: This class is for high school students looking to take the AP Music Theory exam.
- Music History and Repertoire: Middle Ages to Classical: This class provides insight into different style periods and corresponding performance practice.
Music composition develops a student’s ability to use musical language skills learned in theory classes and apply them to their own compositions - learning to communicate musically as a composer. CSMA’s Composition classes are a great option for intermediate and advanced students.
- Composition classes are open to students who have completed Theory 4 or Adult Theory III.
- Composition classes are taught by professional composers and expose students to various music styles.
- Students complete original works, which may be performed throughout the year.
- Students can supplement their private music lessons by playing and performing with other musicians in a CSMA ensemble.
- Being in an ensemble, which provides intensive coaching from the instructor, is a great way to supplement community and/or school orchestra/band experiences.